Call For a Free Consultation 718.544.1000 718.544.1000

Compassionate Guardianship Attorney Guides You Through the Process

You work hard for your family, so knowing that you have planned for their long-term well-being and financial security brings you comfort. Planning for the care of loved ones after your death is vital, especially if you have minor children. Making decisions about their future care is crucial, especially if you are a single parent or if both parents die at once. If you do not name a guardian, the court will appoint a guardian for your children and can make decisions in conflict with your ultimate parenting goals.

Richard Cary Spivack
answers all your questions on guardianship, including:

  • How do I begin the process to appoint a guardian for my children?
  • What types of guardianships are there?
  • When is a guardianship warranted?
  • How long does it take a court to grant guardianship?
  • What does the guardian have to do?
  • Who can be a guardian for an adult?
  • How long does a guardianship last?
  • What is limited guardianship?
  • Can guardians be removed or have their guardianships modified?
  • What is the court’s role in a guardianship?

Ensure your children’s future with an experienced guardianship attorney
Not everyone hires an attorney to ensure a child’s future, but sometimes it’s the safest and smartest thing to do. Guardianship law is complex and changes frequently. Courts are no longer giving appointed guardians free rein, but are doing more to supervise them. After a parent’s death, in most states, the person who wishes to become a guardian must file a petition asking the family court or probate court for guardianship rights. I can effectively manage any guardianship issues or concerns you might have before things get complicated, and can clearly resolve any murky or confusing legal matters.

Choosing a guardian for your child
You should name a guardian who will raise your children according to your parental philosophies. The court will reject a guardian who is unwilling or unable to care for your child. I suggest you name an alternate guardian to fulfill the role if your primary guardian choice is unavailable. I also recommend that you thoroughly discuss your decision with your chosen guardian to confirm that he or she is willing and prepared to accept full responsibility for caring for your child as you see fit.

Importance of a will
Naming a guardian is especially important if you are a single parent or in case both parents die in a common incident. If you do not name a guardian, the court will appoint a guardian for your children, and might decide on someone who would be unacceptable to you. You can make your own parenting decisions by drafting a will and updating your will should your designated guardian die or become incapacitated.

Caring for an incapacitated adult
I can help you arrange for the care of an elderly parent or disabled adult child. I can guide you in choosing a conservator whom you can trust to manage the financial needs of your loved ones.

Contact a Forest Hills, New York guardianship lawyer you can trust
For thorough and professional legal service throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties, call Richard Cary Spivack at 718.544.1000 or contact me online to schedule your free initial consultation.

Richard Cary Spivack is conveniently located in Forest Hills and serves clients throughout Brooklyn, Queens and western Long Island.